1933 Duesenberg Model J "Queen of Diamonds" Franay Sports Berline Sedan
265 HP, 420 cid, Overhead Cam In-Line Eight Cylinder Engine, 4-Speed Transmission
Chassis No. 2385; Engine No. J365
According to Auburn, Cord & Duesenberg historian Ray Wolffe, this chassis was delivered new to France and it appears to have been first fitted with town car coachwork by the French firm of Kellner. For some reason in this configuration the car was not sold, and in August 1931 new sports sedan coachwork by Franay, with sliding sunroof and skirted rear fenders, was fitted. In this new configuration the car was exhibited at the October 1931 Paris Salon with two-tone paintwork. A year later the car was again back at the Paris Salon, but this time it was painted in just one color. In January or February of 1934 the car was sold to the Countess Porceri. Very little is known of the car again until the early 1950s when retired schoolteacher, Henri Beaud of Villeneuve, owned the car. In the late 1950s the car was purchased in partnership between Henri M. Petiet and Serge Pozzoli. Pozzoli was one of the first in France to realize the historical importance of the motorcar. From 1965 until 1971 Paul Badre of Paris was its custodian, at which time Marc Nicolosi brokered the car to Gavin S. Herbert of Newport Beach, California. In 1974 the car changed hands again, selling briefly to Jonnie Bassett before ending up with Ray Egidi of Florida who had the car quickly restored. A year later the car sold to well-known jeweler, Marvin Cohen of Chicago, IL, who carried out a major restoration with some modifications made to enhance the car's overall appearance. He sold the vehicle at auction to Patrick Ryan, who was making one of his first forays into buying Classic Cars. One of the first people to congratulate Pat on his purchase that day was the late Lorin Tryon, one of the famous driving forces behind the Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance.